Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Quinoa (keen-wah) Pilaf

Tried Quinoa (keen-wah) finally!  Had to look up the pronunciation there's an "o".  Like the weather NOAA.

Cook the Quinoa.  1/2 cup Quiona (rinsed in mesh strainer), 1 cup water ~ Cover, bring to a boil reduce to simmer 10 - 15 minutes.  About 11 or 12 minutes.

Chop 1/3 cup onion, 1/4 cup bell pepper, 1/3 cup carrot, 1 clove minced garlic ~ Saute in olive oil.  Mix into quinoa add salt and pepper to taste.  

I had this with my fresh catfish
Coat fish with brown rice flour and salt, and fry in olive oil.  10 mins per inch.


Get a strainer!  It's one of the most used items in my kitchen.  Always rinse your rice before you cook it.  It removes starch that causes the rice to stick together. 

1 comment:

kristyreal said...

I love quinoa but it doesn't love me. I tried the Eden organic brand and it didn't agree with me. I don't think it was an actual corn reaction but I can't eat. Too bad....I loved it! I sautéd the onions and peppers in my saucepan and then added the quinoa and water so that it was a one-pot dish. I actually have some quinoa flakes that I wanted to try using to bread chicken or fish for frying, but now I am scared to try it.

Popular Posts