Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Friday, September 9, 2011

Beef Bacon

Got my grass feed beef today.  They didn't freeze the brisket.  The calf was small of half I got 167 pounds, which I think is enough for the 2 of us.  It fills 2 shelves of my 25 cubic foot freezer.  I figure the bottom drawer and shelf would equal one shelf together.  We definitely need to secure another one for next year. 

I created the curing brine after reading several different recipes this is what I went with.

Brine : Boil all
1 gallon mineral water (not tap)  I have a source of fresh mineral water.  http://houstonsmineralwater.com/
1 1/2 cup salt
1 Tablespoon peppercorns
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup white sugar

Then chill the water to 38 degrees!  Very important.  I read some where to test the mixture by seeing if an egg will float. 

I got 2 briskets because the person that wanted the other 1/2 beef wanted it all ground, so the butcher was able to give them some of my ground for their brisket.

Kristy's idea to use marbles in a bag.  I placed them on top of a couple plastic lids.
 I added the inverted jar lid.
Everything I've read says leave it for 5 - 7 days before smoking.  Rinse for 20 minutes, put in the fridge to let the outside dry to a film.

3 comments:

kc said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

River Glorious said...

wowsers, that's a lot of safe meat! :) :) :)

Michelle said...

Love you both, now that I have meat I am having another issue. The issue is lurking in all of our minds. What can we do if we become incapacitated? Its so scarey!

There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts