Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dealing with Corn Allergy Daily

I was recently asked to write about what its like living with corn allergy.  Here's is the letter I submitted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found it is nearly impossible to find food at any grocery store.  I order my staples online.  It cost just as much as going to the retail health food stores, and I don’t have to drive over 30 miles, however I haven’t been successful in finding meat.  I found someone to buy a live cow from.  They take it to a local non-USDA processor, which is willing to process it without the use of any chemicals or cleaners.  I have my own chickens for eggs, and meat.  I am currently raising 4 ducks and 6 meat chickens.  I am lucky that the corn feed doesn’t seem to bother me as it does others. 
I am growing my own garden for produce.  It is much cheaper than going to the seasonal farmers market.  This year I am planning on selling my extras at the farmers market, and perhaps being able to exchange produce with other vendors.  Most all produce at the retail establishments are washed with corn based citric acid, which leaches into the produce. 
Most all cleaning products are off limits, including laundry soap, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, lotion, and medications.  Going out to eat is impossible because even salt is contaminated.  Visiting friends and relatives is nearly impossible, partially because they don’t understand or don’t want to understand how total life encompassing this allergy is.  I find it nearly impossible to even go back to work.  I have to always be prepared with food.  Right now I am about out of beef, so my main stay meat is turkey hot dogs, which some people can’t tolerate.  They seem to be ok for me at the moment.  I eat so little that I have to eat at least every 4 hours, because my blood sugar drops.
All in all I have to say I am healthier than ever.  I am off blood pressure, and daily allergy meds.  I think this is especially trying for my spouse.   I know he use to like going out for breakfast.  He has sacrificed a lot for me. 
You can find out more about me on my blog:  http://cornallergyaid.blogspot.com/  My blog has more than corn allergy, it has information on living, and finding food too.   

No comments:

Popular Posts