Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Thursday, September 2, 2010

Applesauce is easy

Peel, and core any apple.  If you use green or tart apples you will need to add sugar.  Put in pan, water in the bottom.  As the apples cook down and the sauce becomes thicker, add more water as needed to get the right consistancy.  I use a potato masher to break down the apples.  If you want a smoother sauce use a hand blender right in the pan.  Or you can transfer the sauce into a food processor or blender to get the consistency you prefer.  Taste.  Add sugar for sweeter sauce.  I also add cinnamon. 

Can or freeze it.  I prefer canning.  I use pint jars. Clean jars in the dishwasher with the dry cycle on to heat the jars.  My dish washer has a dial, so as the dishwasher completes I turn the dry cycle back on until I am ready to use the jars.  You can also boil the jars in a canner.  Put the hot sauce in the jars. Leave about 1/2 inch head room.  I slightly heat my seals in a pan of water one at a time.  Put on jar with ring.  Set aside on a towel to cool.  You will hear the seals pop as it cools.  Make sure all seals compress down.  

No comments:

Popular Posts