Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating.

Finding out you have a food allergy can be devastating. I think my first thought was, "What does that mean?" You ask your doctor and he says just avoid that food. It's just a skin test. They aren't entirely accurate.

I am going to attempt to give you ideas and recipes on how to avoid corn. It can be quite the challenge.

Sorry that my blog is evolving into a little bit of everything in life.



Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sliced Beef Bacon

I eventually smoked for 4 hours.  The final internal temperature was 150 degrees.  I decided to just go with that because when I had checked them a couple times before taking them off, there were small spots of fluid on the surface.  This made me fell I was drying them out and would end up with beef jerky instead of bacon.  After taken them off, I wrapped them in foil and refrigerated them over night.  The following morning I cut them against the grain at an angle.  I started using my favorite non-serrated knife,
then I tried the one serrated one pictured under the meat.  It didn't do so well.  I went back to the non-serrated knife.  I had to stop and sharpen it a few times.  I am so glad to have my grandma's sharpening stone in the picture.  After slicing I layered the bacon on a cookie sheet inbetween layers of plastic wrap.  After its frozen  I will put it in gallon size freezer bags.  This way I will be able to take out just what I want at any time.  I freeze just about everything in layers on a cookie sheet like this.

I fried up a couple pieces.  Tastes like the best smoked bacon or ham I ever had.  Be sure to slice it thin, because it is a bit chewy.  My cow was very young and grass feed, so he didn't have much fat at all.  Oh so good though!  I haven't had anything that even resembled bacon in a very long time!  I ate a couple slices with 2 fresh eggs that had very yellow yokes!  I have been letting my chickens out to roam lately, so they have been getting more greens, which make their yolks almost orange.

2 comments:

Glenda said...

That beef looks DELICIOUS, Michelle!!

I can't wait til we have fresh eggs ourselves. Are your hens laying pretty consistently?

Michelle Smith said...

Thanks, my chickens started laying in July at 20 weeks old.

The bacon is so good. I cooked some with my just picked today green beans. Yum!

Popular Posts